CREATE THE GOOD HONORING HEROES CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. BRIEF OVERVIEW: The Create the Good Honoring Heroes Contest (“Promotion”) takes place between November 1, 2018 at 12:00AM ET and January 5, 2019 at 11:59PM ET (“Promotion Period”). The Promotion consists of a Grand Prize Contest. More specific details are stated below.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Promotion is open to all legal residents of the fifty (50) United States/District of Columbia, who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry, except officers, directors, and employees (and members of their household and immediate families, i.e., parents, children, spouse, siblings) of AARP (also referred to as “Sponsor”), its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising/promotion agencies, and/or their affiliates, assigns or representatives (hereinafter referred to collectively as “Sponsor & Others”), and all other persons or entities associated with the development, administration, promotion, execution of, supply to or printing of this Promotion.
3. HOW TO PARTICIPATE/SELECTION OF WINNER/PRIZE/ODDS OF WINNING:
How to Enter: There will be a total of seventeen (17) Prizes awarded to Selected Winners. To enter the Promotion, go to www.createthegoodheroes.com and login to the Promotion. If you do not have an account, you may create an AARP account by completing and submitting the registration form, or register by using your Facebook or Google account ID. Then, follow the directions to nominate a United States veteran, or a veteran’s family member or a volunteer who helps veterans. The nominee must be a living person. To nominate you can either upload one (1) video about your nominee, or one (1) essay about your nominee accompanied by a photo of the nominee, hereafter referred to as your submission (“Submission”). The video submission must not exceed one (1) minute in length and must not exceed two-hundred (200) MB in size. The essay submission may not be more than 500 words, and the accompanying photo may not exceed five (5) MB in file size.
Each entrant may nominate as many United States veterans, or veteran’s family members or volunteers who help veterans during the Submission Phase. Use of multiple email addresses to enter the Contest by the same individual is prohibited and may result in disqualification. Submissions will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email account from which the Submission is uploaded at the time of the entry, as identified by the primary email address associated with that account. Submissions will not be acknowledged or returned. Submissions that have not been approved by the Sponsor and/or Administrator may be shown publicly before they get approved and a contest entry is awarded. Entrants are responsible for determining the appropriate beginning and ending times in their respective time zones.
Submission Requirements: The Submission must comply with the following requirements: (i) the Submission may not feature any person other than entrant unless entrant has obtained all necessary written permissions and releases from such persons prior to submission and such persons are over the age of majority in his/her state of legal residence; (ii) the nominee must be a living person; (iii) other than the Sponsor or the Organization, their products, brands and/or logos, the Submission may not show, contain, mention, depict, refer or otherwise allude to the name, logo or product of any other retailer, manufacturer, brand, product, store, place of business, person, company or character in such a way or manner as to imply an affiliation with, or endorsement of, the Sponsor, its products, brands and/or this Contest; (iv) the Submission must be entrant’s own original work (or the entrant must have the rights from the photographer to make the submission), created solely by entrant and not created professionally; must not have been previously published, released or distributed in any form; must not have won any award; and must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity; (v) the Submission may not contain, mention, refer or otherwise allude to any material that is violent, lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, racially or morally offensive or otherwise contain inappropriate content or objectionable material; (vi) the Submission cannot promote alcohol, illegal drugs or tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any political agenda or message; (vii) the Submission cannot in any manner defame, misrepresent, contain disparaging remarks or reflect negatively about Sponsor, its products, or other people, products or companies or their products, or in any way reflect negatively upon such parties or explicitly or implicitly communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill with which Sponsor wishes to be associated, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion; (viii) except for the nominee, the Submission cannot contain any personal identification of other individuals, such as personal names, email addresses or street addresses, without express permission of the individual; (ix) the Submission cannot itself be in violation of any law; and (x) the Submission must otherwise be in compliance with these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Submission that Sponsor believes, in its sole discretion, does not comply with or is in violation of these Official Rules or that otherwise contains prohibited or inappropriate content.
Selection of Contest Prize Winners (“Selected Winners”): On approximately January 14, 2019 at approximately 5:00PM ET, 8 winners will be selected by a panel of 4 Judges, appointed by AARP. Winners will be selected by the judges from the top 10 Video and top 10 Essay Finalists that received the most public votes. Judges will evaluate entrants based on an application of the following criteria equally: Quality of the description of nominee and service (1/3), Impact of nominee’s service (1/3), and Quality of submission (1/3). In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based on the same criteria listed above and a Winner will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Entrants agree to the Official Rules and to the decisions of the Judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Award of a prize to any winner will be subject to verification of that winner’s eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. Selection of Weekly Sweepstakes Prize Winners: During the Promotion Period, there will be nine (9) separate weekly drawings. One (1) winner will be named for each week of the Promotion Entry Period. For the weekly drawings the Sponsor will randomly select a winner amongst all valid registrations received by the end of the previous Sunday starting on November 11, 2019. All non-winning daily entries will carry over into the next weekly drawing. The entrant may be contacted using the email address provided with the entry and may be awarded the prize (subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with the terms of these rules). Sponsor's decisions as to the administration and operation of the Sweepstakes and the selection of the potential winner is final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. Failure to respond to the initial verification within five (5) business days of notification may result in disqualification and sponsor may select an alternate potential winner in a random drawing of all remaining valid entries received. Odds of winning a daily prize depend on the number of eligible Sweepstakes entries. Limit of one weekly prize per person during the Promotion Period. Notification: Winners will be notified via email on or about January 21, 2019, using the email provided on the entry form. The Winner must email firstname.lastname@example.org within five (5) business days of notification to claim prize. The return of any prize notification message or document as undeliverable will result in disqualification of the applicable winner, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize and the selection of a substitute winner with the next highest score. Prizes: Grand Prize Winner: Grand Prize winning video or essay nominee will receive a cruise trip on the Serenade of the Seas sponsored by Cabot Creamery. Trip is from September 28 – October 6, 2019. Approximate retail value of entire package is $6,690.
§ The following terms apply to the 2019 Cabot Community Celebrity Cruise: 1. The award is not transferable, nor is it redeemable for cash. 2. No substitution for a 2019 Cabot Community Celebrity Cruise Awardee is allowed. 3. All awardees must be 21 years of age or older. 4. The awardee is subject to state and federal taxes for the retail value of the cruise, hotel and airfare. 5. This award does not include any funds for alcohol, gambling, recreation or other items of a purely personal nature that can be purchased while on board or in port. 6. Nominee/Awardee must be a resident of the United States. 7. In some cases, an individual who is chosen as a Cabot Community Celebrity may work as a paid employee of an organization but that individual is being recognized for going above and beyond expectations for their role. GENERAL CONDITIONS: No cash redemption, substitution or transfer of prize permitted. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the awardee. Void where prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws/regulations apply. Awardee will be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility/liability and a publicity release form (as permitted by law), prior to boarding. Acceptance of prize (by sailing on September 29, 2019 as a 2019 Cabot Community Celebrity Cruise awardee) constitutes permission for sponsors and their agencies to use awardee's name/likeness for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation. By participating in the 2019 Cabot Community Celebrity Cruise, the awardee agrees to release, hold harmless, and forever discharge Celebrity Cruises, Milne Travel, Cabot Creamery and their distributors, employees, directors, officers, affiliates, subsidiaries, judging agency, and/or advertising/public relations agencies from any and all claims, demands, losses and liabilities, of any nature whatsoever, which they may now or hereafter assert, including but not limited to, claims for injury, death, or illness arising out of or claimed to be arising out of the aforesaid cruise.
Runner Up Prizes: Video Winners: Three (3) runner up video nominees will each be awarded one thousand dollars ($1,000) Essay Winners: Four (4) runner up essay nominees will each be awarded seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750) Weekly Sweepstakes Winners: Nine (9) weekly sweepstakes prize winners will receive either: AARP Toiletry Kit ($28); or AARP Apron and Silicone Collapsible Lunchbox ($28)
Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of all Prizes: $252. If the actual retail value of the Prize differs from its stated ARV, the Selected Winner will not receive the difference in value. Limit: Only one (1) prize per participant. Winner will receive the Prize within 5-10 days of being confirmed as the winner. Odds of Winning: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received, and the Judge’s evaluation of said entries.
Participant need not be an AARP member in order to enter and/or win the Prize Contest. Being an AARP member will not increase your chance or odds of winning.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO ALL PRIZE RECIPIENTS (“PRIZE RECIPIENT”):
Prize Limit: An individual, including a member of his/her household, regardless of email address used, may only win one (1) Grand Prize throughout the Promotion Period. The Winner of the Grand Prize will receive the Grand Prize immediately after having been confirmed as a Winner. Prizes are not transferable or substitutable except by Sponsor with one of equal or greater value. Sponsor is not responsible for any Prize Recipient’s inability to utilize her/his prize. All federal, state and local taxes are solely the responsibility of the Prize Recipient. Additionally, at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate Winner of a Grand Prize may result from any of the following: (a) a potential Winner’s failure, upon request, to provide Sponsor with satisfactory proof of age, identity, residency, and/or eligibility; (b) a potential Winner’s failure to accept or utilize the Grand Prize as provided herein; or (c) any other non-compliance, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, with the Official Rules.
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor & Others are not responsible for interrupted or unavailable network server or other connections; for miscommunications; failed telephone, computer or electronic transmissions; for jumbled, scrambled or misdirected entries or transmissions; for phone, electrical, network, technology or computer hardware or software or program malfunctions, failures or difficulties; or any other errors, omissions, interruptions, or deletions of any kind, whether human, mechanical or electronic; or for non-receipt of any entry regardless of the cause of it not being properly received by Sponsor. Sponsor & Others are not responsible for illegible, unintelligible, late, lost or stolen entries; for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion; or for any technical, printing or human errors which may occur in the receipt, non-receipt or processing of any entries, Tickets or Ticket stubs in the Promotion. In no event will Sponsor award more Grand Prizes than are stated in these Official Rules. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Promotion, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and may be subject to prosecution. Any person attempting to enter using multiple email addresses, multiple identities or any other device or artifice to enter multiple times or to interfere with the proper play of the Promotion will be disqualified from participation in the Promotion. If, in the judgment of Sponsor, the Promotion is compromised by viruses, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which or may corrupt the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Promotion, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, discontinue, suspend or terminate the Promotion and proceed to select potential Winner in a manner it deems fair and reasonable.
SPONSOR & OTHERS MAKE NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT AS REGARDS ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OF EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS TO LEARN IF ANY OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
8. PUBLICITY AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient agrees to allow Sponsor and/or Sponsor's designees the perpetual right to use his/her name, biographical information, photos, videos and/or likeness, and statements for promotion, trade, commercial, advertising and publicity purposes, at any time or times, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, including but not limited to on the World Wide Web and Internet, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation except where prohibited by law.
Entrants grant the Sponsor all rights of ownership, reproduction, and use of entries for any purpose whatsoever without compensation or further permission, including but not limited to an irrevocable and perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide right, in all media (now known or later developed) to assign, use, publish, edit, adapt, modify, alter, reproduce, distribute, display, copyright, create derivative works or otherwise exploit entries, for commercial or non-commercial use, and without compensation to the Entrant. By entering the Contest, each Entrant waives any and all rights he or she may have to his or her Entry. To the extent Entrant has any rights in the Entry; Entrants assigns all such rights to the Sponsor by entering the Contest.
9. GOVERNING LAW: Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of Washington, DC.
10. RELEASE: By participating, each entrant releases and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor & Others from and against any and all costs, claims, damages, or any other injury, whether due to negligence or otherwise, to person(s) or property (including, without limitation, death or violation of any personal rights, such as violation of right of publicity/privacy, libel, or slander), due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in the Promotion, or arising out of the receipt, use or misuse, or enjoyment of any Prize.
11. GENERAL: By entering the Promotion, entrants agree to abide and to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final in all matters pertaining to this Promotion. Void outside of the fifty (50) United States/District of Columbia and wherever prohibited or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entries become property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
12. WINNER’S list: To obtain the names of the Grand Prize Winner, send a properly stamped, self-addressed envelope, by February 28, 2018, to AARP Honoring Heroes Winner’s List, c/o: Contest Factory, 17602 17th Street #102 – 116, Tustin, CA 92780.
SPONSOR: AARP, 601 E. Street NW, Washington, DC 20049
© 2018 AARP
AARP is a trademark of AARP Non-Profit Corporation, D.C. These Official Rules may not be reproduced or reprinted in part or in their entirety without the express prior written permission of AARP.